[access-uk] Re: The Eye Cam...

  • From: Vincent Thacker <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 15:13:51 +0100 (CET)

I like the idea of this Eyecam, but only as a secondary aid. My dog has one
quality that none of this technology has, and that is intelligence. He's smart
enough to guide me through some very tricky environments, and he's only young
yet. He's great at walking after dark, too, and I wonder whether these cameras
are OK in very dark conditions. He doesn't speak yet, though I swear he's
trying to learn. I'm sure these camera gizmos would be a useful supplement to
what the dog does, telling me if I'm going somewhere new what the street signs
say, etc.. I wonder who on earth would be prepared to sit there narrating while
I have a 4-hour trip to town - great idea, and I'm sure the technology is up to
it, but probably difficult to achieve the staffing levels you'd need. You'd
need some pretty snazzy cameras to see everything you'd need to see if you
relied on something like an Eyecam.

Vince.

Message Received: Dec 05 2013, 12:14 PM
From: "Jackie Brown"
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: The Eye Cam...

Hi Richard

Not sure I could ever get used to just walking about with some sort of iCam
for guidance over a cane or dog. The way technology is moving, I bet
someone will come up with a futuristic idea. But, for now, I am delighted
with my new four-legged German Shepherd acquisition called Bumble, or my
trusted old beaten up long cane! (smile). Rather than the iCam, I would
prefer a shit detector, but that is another matter for a more general list
me thinks.

Kind regards,

Jackie Brown
Twitter: @thebrownsplace