[access-uk] Re: The Benefits of Braille - for Tink

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 10:45:52 +0100

I raised the Braille code issue more in jest than in earnest.  Personally, I
DON'T WANT TO SEE MUCH CHANGE IN THE CODE AS IT STANDS, BUT WITH MATHS YOU
BRING UP AN INTERESTING ISSUE BECAUSE THE ONLY MATHS SIGNS I    got used to
were computer Braille ones, which somehow made more sense to me, but I am very
far from being a mathematician.

To go into the code issue deeply would begin to deflect the focus of this
thread,; but I suppose it does have relevance from the standpoint of the ease
of learning Braille and whether more people might learn it if the code was
changed.  These schemes always hit the resistance of many established Braille
readers and we end up with as many disaffected users as we might win new users
to Braille.

Many are adaptable though when it comes to the issue of greater choice and
speed of reading.  I'm unashamedly a traditionalist here though;  I like to
savour what I'm reading just as much as I want to turn the next page, while
reading a novel.  I've never had any trouble with speech - and electronic
displays, if I could afford one - for factual reading, but literally reading,
or being read to well, by a reader I get on with, are things I will not
willingly part from.  One or two who have mentioned how reading styles can
lessen and ruin enjoyment are right.  I find Steven Moore's reading of the
Cracken Wakes, for the enth time on BBC7 - unabridged - is grating.  His voice
was ideal for Marvin the Paranoid android, and he's been in some Trollop
Barchester adaptations to good effect, but somehow his voice gnores at me in
the Cracken.  Now, whoever read the Day of the Triffids had it right for me,
and I really enjoyed it.  I've also read it in print and enjoyed it that way
too.  Triffids is a very good reflection on blindness and could spawn a thread
to itself, but not here I'm afraid.

There is undoubtedly some puritanical obsession, not to say snobbery, attached
to audio books, even when unabridged.  I'm not a subscriber to this attitude
believing that each can have its merits, and having enjoyed reading novels in
both ways, I can say I've had as much profound enjoyment in reading using
either method.  (Someone dug out an article on the net which I still have about
the snobbish anti-audio book stance of some people which I could post to anyone
interested.

(Sorry for the accidental capitalisation at the start of this message.)
Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx