[access-uk] "Thank you" and "My problem is solved"

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 22:23:07 +0100

Since I'm on my soap box, I may as well mention another
aspect that has been raised in terms of list etiquette
generally, be it this list, or any other.

This falls into three categories of thank you messages.  No
thanks at all. Multiple thanks. Global thanks.

While I appreciate that many of you, quite understandably,
do not want to see the list cluttered with thank you
messages, it does help to know that a particular suggestion,
or suggestions, has worked.  I often see questions answered,
and wonder if the person with the problem has solved it. So
please, if you have the time, please let us know what
actually did work for you.

On a general enquiry type question, such as "Where can I get
so and so?", it is of course polite to say "Thanks", but it
can get decidedly annoying on a busy list to open 10
messages simply saying "thanks" to 10 respondents.  May I
suggest that one message, something along the lines of,
"Thanks to all who answered my question. I finally got what
I wanted from XYZ company."

Perhaps even add a short comment about how good (or bad)
they were to deal with?  That way, you are not only being
polite, but adding some helpful comment for others who may
be looking for the same thing.  It's always good to know of
companies who are good to deal with.

O.K.  This old granddaddy is stepping off the box, and
trotting up to the pub for a pint.

George bell.