[access-uk] Re: Testers wanted: Articles for the blind label printing app

  • From: David Griffith <daj.griffith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 02:52:37 +0000

Your difficulty with using the service without RNIB labels prompted me to look this up.

I found the following Citizens Advice Page which sets out the rules.
Although it applies to Wales it is clearly a national scheme.
It is clear that what happens to you should not have happen as there is no mention of RNIB labels.

Anyway it might be a useful resource to add into your brother's project as there are rules about packaging which I was not personally aware of or even ever adhered to. As I normally use the service to transfer content on an SD card to my sister it has never occured to me to use an envelope which is not secured. The rules seem a a little out of date to me as information nowadays may well be sent in a media that is sensitive to theft. http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_post_e/consumer_using_the_postal_system_e/consumer_sending_mail_e/extra_help_with_mail_for_people_who_are_blind_or_visually_impaired.htm

On 17/02/2015 23:48, Mobeen Iqbal wrote:
hello david.

many thanks for your comments. that's interesting that you've been able to write articles for the blind and that the parcel's have always got there. the one time i tried it, i got sent back from the postoffice because they said that writing it in pen or printing it out even wasn't official enough. ever since then i've not taken the risk and have just used the official labels, i'd rather have a little more reassurance that some idiot isn't going to block my package because it isn't official enough for them. . if people find it useful then fair enough. it will include an address book and at least you'll know that your address is definitely printing in the right place. its a nice compliment to the articles for the blind labels as well, and it saves money in the long term instead of having to buy sheets of labels or a label printer and roles of tape then working out where to stick your label. we'll see what happens, many thanks once again.

all the best,

Mo.

On 17/02/2015 23:28, David Griffith wrote:
Just a comment that sighted help may not be necessary to tell if a label is printed as long as people have access to OCR and a scanner.

What I do when I print out addresses is put them under my scanner. If the scanner picks up the address I am confident it has printed out OK. I am sure your Brother's application will be useful for some but to be honest when I print I also just include a top line on the label in bold Articles for the Blind if it is going to my sister and this has always worked. In fact when she sends stuff to me she just gets her husband to write Article s for the Blind with a Biro on the envelope and or package and this has also always worked over the last 15 years or so that we have been doing this.

I do not believe an official RNIB label is necessary for the service.

David Griffith
On 17/02/2015 16:29, Mobeen Iqbal wrote:
Hello Everyone.

Over the last few weeks, my brother has been developing an application which should allow people to print on articles for the blind labels without any sighted help. We are at the stage where we need testers for the application. Because the RNIB labels are the same size as a 6 by 4 photograph, you'll need to ensure that your printer prints on photo paper which could be listed as 4 by 6, 10 by 15 CM in your printer's paper options. we've noticed that some laser printers have this option and some don't. similarly, most inkjet printers allow you to print on photopaper so this should not pose a problem for the majority of people. sighted help on hand may also be necessary to ensure that your address has been printed if you do not have enough sight to make out the print on the label. If you are interested in testing the application in its alpha stage, please send a blank email message to:

vi-tech-testers+subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

testing will commence in the next few days.

Thanks for reading,

Mo.