[access-uk] Re: Temp folders

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 09:43:28 +0100

Hi Mark,
As a general rule, ANYTHING is a \temp folder can
usually be deleted.  Personally, I would strongly
recommend leaving anything you delete in the
Recycle Bin for a week or so, just in case
anything barks back at you.  You can then restore
if needs be.

That said, make sure you are not running any
applications such as Word, Excel, Access, etc.,
when you empty them.  However, you may well find
that you get an "Access denied", or similar,
message if a file is actually in use, since
depending on the type of system you are running,
some processes may make use of these folders.

George.

Mark Matthews
> Sent: 26 July 2004 21:42
> To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [access-uk] Re: Temp folders
>
> Thanks for confirming this George. So in lite of
this, would
> it be as well to leave everything in the
traditional
> c:\windows\temp folder alone?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark
>
> Mark Matthews
> E-mail: mark.matthews53@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> MSN/Windows Messenger: markmatthews3@xxxxxxxxxxx
Home Page:
> http://www.qsl.net/gw0wgk

George Bell
> Sent: 26 July 2004 18:24
> To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [access-uk] Re: Temp folders
>

> Temp files and folders are normally used by
various programs
> during installation.  They may also be used when
running
> applications, such as Word, for example, where a
working and
> backup copy are temporarily stored.
> However, the original concept of a Global Temp
Folder in the
> Root drive for everything was dropped in favour
of individual
> Temp files within User's folders and settings.
>
> Consequently if you have two users, you will
have two Temp
> Folders, one in each User's "Documents &
Settings" folder.
> Modern software will use these Folders as
opposed to the
> c:\temp folder, or even c:\windows\temp.
>
> George.

between
> the temp
> > folder in the Windows Route directory, and the
> one in
> > documents and settings\user\local settings?
This

Subject:- faq