[access-uk] Technical terms (was we don't stand a hope)

  • From: <Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 14:18:15 +0000

Hello Mike,

People will most likely use the terms that they hear most often. So we have a
mismatch. Whilst most people out there are calling them drop down lists, a
screenreader user will hear the term Combo Box more frequently. I've just
checked and that's what both Jaws and NVDA call them. The answer is for
screenreaders to identify the features in the way that lay people are most
likely to refer to them, rather than with the technical term. It's like having
a programme that calls salt Sodium Chloride, because a chemist designed it.

Best,
Clive