[access-uk] Re: TapTapSee now on Android!

  • From: Vincent Thacker <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 13:37:52 +0200 (CEST)

Vanja,

Thanks for alerting us to the newly migrated TapTapSee.

I use a pocket camcorder quite a bit, and it is about the size and shape of a
mobile phone, so based on that I might be able to give you some pointers. I
can't say the whole thing is easy, in fact, it's quite tricky, but I'm sure
you'll be able to get better results from the likes of TapTapSee.

If you really did get a picture of the tablecloth, maybe you had the phone
leaning forward a bit too much at the top end, or were holding it too highup
and pointing it downwards.

Have the phone a couple of feet away from the object you want to photograph,
and try to make sure that it's vertical, i.e., straight up and down, not at an
angle.  Have the top of the phone slightly, only slightly, above the top of the
object, say, your can.

If that wasn't enough, try to make sure the phone isn't leaning to the left or
right. It's surprisingly easy to mess up a picture by swaying away from the
horizon.

With a bigger object, say a vehicle, you would obvously need to be much further
back.

In the end, it's worth experimenting a bit until you get the results you want.
Practice makes perfect, some people say!

Hope that helps a bit.

Vince.

Message Received: Apr 10 2014, 10:47 PM
From: vanja@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] TapTapSee now on Android!

Hello lovely  people.

As the subject line says,. TapTapSee is now available for all of us on Android!
If anyone wants it it can be downloaded from the following link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.msearcher.taptapsee.android

However, I have some issues with it, which most likely are result of my
incompetence with using the camera properly. For example, it can easily
identify large objects, tables, shelves, work surfaces ETC., but not smaller
things like cans, bottles, ETC. Yet I’ve seen people, at least on iPhones even
successfully get it to read labels on the bottles. First of all does it use
front or back camera? Also, again, perhaps I’m doing something totally wrong
but for example, I had a can of beer on my kitchen table yet it only recognises
the table cloth, even though I thought I was pointing the camera at the can.
Perhaps it’s all just about being accurate, but if anyone can give me any tips
I would very much appreciate it. For your information the phone that I tested
this with is Moto G.