[access-uk] Re: TapTapSee

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 21:44:19 -0000

Hi Vince.

Precisely, I couldn’t have put it better myself.  There used to be an excellent
capture solving service called Solona, the guy who was behind it would sit
there and solve people’s capture requests but even he couldn’t hold out
forever, it was a tiring and thankless job according to his blog, he tried to
get volunteers involved but no one was interested.  Sooner or later when an app
becomes popular the developer will have to decide whether money can be made,
Taptapsee has been free for a while now, so the developers behind it have had
plenty of opportunity to gadge the level of interest prevailing and will
monitise accordingly as well they should.  There used to be an app VizWiz but
that seems either not to be working or the staffing behind it is very slim now,
you could ask a question about the images you sent, it showed real promise but
they never took the opertunity to make it a viable product for longterm
sustainability.

All the best, Ibrahim.

  From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu"
  To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Hi Peter.

  Why is that disgraceful? What is wrong with monetising a service that so
  many people use and which relies on humans to process images? Is it not
  fair and reasonable that people should not be compensated for the work they
  put in to making this app not only one of the most useful but also the most
  responsive image recognition services out there?

  All the best, Ibrahim.