[access-uk] Re: Talx, mobile networks and Talx capable phones: (WasRe: Re: Wildfire to be put out)

  • From: "Sayka Hussain" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 20:09:46 +0100

Hi,

OK, here's what I know about Talks and the different networks, some of
it is personal experience, some I've heard from other people.

I know for a fact that Vodafone do offer it for free.  They bought up
loads of Talks licences a while back and offer them only if someone
asks.  Even then, you have to contact a specific person at Vodafone who
can do it for you, the rest haven't a clue what it is or what it does.
Its a fact they keep quiet though and I only found out purely by chance.
However one tip, don't send your phone off to them so that they can
install it.  I've heard they muck it up good and proper if left to their
own devices so I didn't take the chance.  Instead, send them the imi
number of your phone and they'll send you back (after lots of prodding)
a licence code.  You're much better off installing talks yourself with
sighted assistance than trusting Vodafone to do it for you.

I was with Orange before switching to Vodafone and did have Wildfire.
to say it drove me round the bend, is probably and understatement, I had
it switched off after a few days.  I found their customer service much
better than that of Vodafone although at the end, they were not very
nice, especially when they realised I was leaving their network.

Apparently, O2 are dithering about whether to offer Talks for free or
not although I suspect their motives have more to do with the rivalry
between themselves and Vodafone rather than  a wish to help visually
impaired people.  Again their customer service is ok, but I still say
that overall Oranges was the best.  I was with O2 for four years before
switching to Orange.  One thing to note though is that both O2 and
Vodafone offer the 1471 service for free.  I found this very helpful
especially when I didn't have talks on my phone.

All three offer Braille billing.  I don't know anything about either
TMobile or Virgin and the services they offer other than the fact that
neither offers the 1471 service.

I hope this helps

Sayka Hussain

From: Justin  <mailto:mypc128@xxxxxxxxxxxx> R

I'm pretty sure this isn't an option with Virgin mobile.  With my
experience of making enquiries about joining Virgin and, explaining that
I couldn't sign up straight away and buy one of their selected phones
due to the talx issue.

They seem to understand what I meant when I mentioned the talx software.
HOwever, if they did sell any phones with talx put on them, they'd have
said I've no doubt.

I think only Vodafone are the ones that offer talx ready phones.  Orange
seem clued up on with the talx software, having spoken about it with
their customer service on several occasions and, at the Orange shop.

If you wanna go with one particular network and don't want vodafone,
you'll have to buy talx separately from your phone.

Justin