[access-uk] Re: Talking watch with male English speech and LCD display

  • From: "Clive Pallett" <clive.pallett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:39:06 +0100

Hello Peter, Sandra and Steve,

the watch I have is the RNIB talking calendar watch mark II, which does have
alarm, stopwatch, countdown timer and a good-quality male English voice, along
with a strong leather strap, product code CW89.  this was sold exclusively by
RNIB and not available from cobolt systems.  It would appear that this watch
is no longer available as I couldn't find it on RNIB's shop site.  fortunately
our son David glued the button on so I can use it again.

As for the watches with hands, they are fiddly to set up and the latest models
from RNIB have separate functions for the time display and speech, which can
be turned off and has to be activated on first use.  Even the radio-controlled
watches have recessed buttons and it is recommended to have them face down on
a window sill to get the best signal to update the time.

I have, thank goodness, found and ordered a talking calendar watch with male
English speech and a countdown timer from Better Life healthcare:

www.betterlifehealthcare.com

The product code is VT12, price £43.99.

Being a commercial site, they don't provide their documents in accessible
formats.  there is a limited list of products for blind and visually impaired
people as well as aids and equipment for physically disabled people.

Best wishes,

Clive pallett