[access-uk] Re: Talking books for students

  • From: "carl moore" <cckh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 15:34:21 +0100

Andy,

I am studying a degree in social work and about to enter my final year in
September.  reading books in an accessible format has been a nightmare.  The
best advice is to get the titles of books you require then go to the
publishers and ask for PDF formatted books.  This is a legal requirement for
books published in 2000 onwards.  There is Psychology Press who will send
you via internet the titles you will need.  But beware, most publishers send
there books in several PDFs and are in the original printers number system.
This has been a very big problem for me.  I have bought the Nuance PDF
converter this summer as I understand this software will enable me to stitch
PDFs together, as yet I haven't tried it.  Good luck, and should any other
soul have alternative ways of accessing academic books I would be delighted
to if they would share them with me!

Christine M.