[access-uk] Re: TVonics talking freeview recorder

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 14:27:25 +0100

Hi William.

I'm in somewhat of a privileged position as I've had a chance to play with this box, so I hope you don't mind Alison if I answer this question.

Firstly, at the present time, I Player/internet services and Teledex are the only two functions which don't speak and which for the present time aren't likely to become accessible. Firmware updates are delivered through the internet via the TVonics website and are applied via a USB pen drive, or can be delivered over the internet through the ethanet connection or wireless adaptor which needs to be purchased separately.

Secondly, yes, you can watch one channel while recording another. Furthermore, you can go in to the TV guide from any channel and record a program on another without having to switch channels or watching the program while it is recording.

All the best, Ibrahim.

-----Original Message----- From: william lomas
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 2:21 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: TVonics talking freeview recorder

alison,

will iplayer support be added for speaking?
thought the goodmans box would get updates, but they never seemed to show up :) also, if i am recording say bbc1, can i "watch" any other channel as it were, at the same time or only a specified group of channels?
I know we can record 2 programs at once but not watch a third
are the boxes in stock now if one orders?

On 3 May 2012, at 14:12, Long, Alison wrote:

Hi,
It is a different model to the one we are selling. The rrp for the model we are selling is £249, at the moment I think I'm right in saying that RNIB and John Lewis are the cheapest places, but this can change on a daily basis in the consumer electronics market! We would urge customers to shop around for the best deal. Currently RNIB is the only place you can get this model speaking out of the box, with accessible instructions etc, but we hope this will change over the coming months, as outlets replenish their stock.

However, the good news is that the model you have linked to can be upgraded with the accessibility software. I think the answer to why they can offer such low pricing lays in their "why are our prices so low?". It is what is termed "graded" stock. For those comfortable with upgrading firmware on products, it's definitely an option worth considering.
Thanks
Alison