[access-uk] Re: TVonics connection question

  • From: Yusuf <yusufaosman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 18:47:01 +0100

I've found various options to purchase online including this at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/OPTICAL-ADAPTOR-Digital-signal-converter/dp/B005OD16MO

and since that will undoubedly go over two lines here's the tiny version.
http://tiny.cc/5us3dw
Does this sound like the right thing? To me it does, but then I know almost nothing about this type of connection.

Oh, the Optical port does have a little cover, its on a hinge and when you push a cable in, or your finger the door opens inwards.
Cheers
Yusuf
On 10/05/2012 18:25, Steve Hyde-Dryden wrote:
Andy, if the sound is taken from the optical out on the TVonics, it will not
play through an anologue amp unless as you say, it is converted through a
Digital Analogue Converter.  These are available as separate units such as
the Arcam DAC for around £300 but also, some CD players and Mini-Disks will
have an optical in where you could use them to monitor the audio.  Some of
the upper end CD players provide access to external sources to their DAC
converters.  If though you have a Digital Amp which has dedicated digital
inputs then this will provide the amplification you need without going
through an external DAC.  Cyrus for example do some digital amps which are
not AV but have optical inputs for the likes of a CD player, DAT machine or
Minidisk player.

Hope that helps and sorry if you already knew this.

Steve