[access-uk] Re: TVonics - Amy On Strike!

  • From: "David Mellor" <mrd.mellor@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 15:11:54 +0100

I will add my voice to those who have used the DTR500 enthusiastically on a
daily basis since mid May and have had no problems with the hard drive.
Whether you want to upgrade now or wait until it fails which would be my
preference would depend I guess on how important you feel your recordings
are, and whether you can catch them again on the  BBC or ITV iplayer.

Incidentally, I discovered that stvplayer, the Scottish version of ITV
iplayer is a lot more accessible and also works with WebIE.

For those interested in changing hard drives though I do remember an article
on the web by a Canadian chap who had replaced the 3.5 drive in his PVR (not
a Tvonics) with a 2.5 drive like those used in laptops because it was much
quieter. A solid state drive would be an even quieter option but very much
more expensive.

Could I also ask Mo for the hard drive replacement and formatting
instructions please.

My next mission..... to figure out the wonderful world of PLC - power line
communications, so I can send the audio from the PVR over the mains and pick
it up in my bedroom and also capture the infra red signal from the remote
and transmit that back down the mains to the PVR using an IR blaster so I
can lie in bed listening to it and have full control over it.
Anyone else ever delved into these things?

Best wishes,
David