[access-uk] Re: TVonics

  • From: Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 22:57:01 +0100

Hi Ibrahim.

I totally agree. I've always wanted to find out how things work and what the the box's limits are. Also, i was curious how they'd modified the software and what varient of linux it was running. What prompted me to replace my hard drive was the fact that i received a defective second hand box. I was going to send it back, but the only feature that wasn't working was the hard drive recording. I couldn't be bothered with messing around with the ebay returns system, waiting days for the seller to get in touch. more importantly, i was curious what drive they'd used and weather a full format would make a difference. I removed the drive, but didn't want to put it back in as i had another drive by a better manufacturer with a faster spin speed. I put that drive in and haven't experienced any lockups since. For those of you for whom the box is working, excellent! its a matter of choice and if its not broken, don't fix it. I'm posting here as people have had similar issues on online forums and have spent days looking for answers, its either the power supply or the hard drive that seem to fail on these units.

all the best,

Mo.

On 16/08/2012 22:37, Ibrahim Gucukoglu wrote:
Hi Terry.
Yes, but its no different to a person wanting to jailbreak their IPhone or access the internals of the Windows operating system, its user choice. You might want to increase the hard drive capacity, you might need to replace a drive that has failed with a new one or even replace the standard mechanical hard drive with a solid state one. Since these boxes are no longer being manufactured and or supported, its only natural to want to tinker because there is nothing to lose, except from your box that is if your incompetent in your tampering.
All the best, Ibrahim.