[access-uk] Re: TIME TO GO IMAP?

  • From: Jonathan <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 16:43:27 +0000

Hi Carol - some quick thoughts which may answer your questions:

I believe that Virgin Media are using Gmail for their mail - that might
make things easier as once you've done one, you'll know how to do the other.
http://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/email.html

In IMAP, folders are synchronised on local machine and remote server. I
don't believe there are any limits to the amount of IMAP folders you can
have.

There's no time limit on archived emails - I've got gmail from 2004! Just
stuff that's put into bin or spam gets deleted after 30 days.

Don't forget you can "push" IMAP mail onto a server, too. If you wanted to
"push" all your locally stored pop3 mail onto folders on gmail there's
nothing stopping you doing that.

If you're going to use both pop3 and imap, make sure that Outlook Express
is set to NOT delete mails off server after collection.

There - that should do!