[access-uk] Re: THOUGHT FOLLOWING BRAILLENOTE TOUCH LAUNCH

  • From: rajmund <brajmund2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 22:40:52 +0100

Hi Ed,
If one uses their index finger on space, is that easy on the touch? It is with physical keys, as well as IOS, but wonder on the flat screen, especially if one uses the bottom part of the scpeen to write on.

Sent from a BrailleNote

From: Edward Green <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date sent: Tue, 26 Apr 2016 20:42:15 +0100

Hi John,

There was a discussion on the BCAB list about Sendero yesterday. Short answer is that it won't work as Sendero don't support Android.

I was pretty impressed with the speed I was able to get brailling on the touch screen, though the price and updatability obviously remain relevant considerations.

Cheers,

Ed
On 26 Apr 2016, at 20:19, john gallagher <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

hi ian thanks and like you i could teach this new device for them easily. you have to give it to humanware at least they are moving on the window ce which is a plus. it would be very very interesting like paul says to have a look at it. the quickness of the braille input and also how good is the web on it. with my u 2 now a lot of sites are just no good really. i can see where steve comes from saying use main stream. one thing that i have not heard is concerning the sendero gps programm on the braille notes now, i wonder if that will run on the new device probably not. must ask someone at humanware about this one as i always used it before my i-phone. it was a real saver in many piano tuning trips i had to make. thanks for the infoe ian cheers there.

From: Ian Macrae  <ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx"  <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, 26 April 2016 7.54 pm

0was
0was
0was No, it's a suite of apps which Humanware and before them Pulsedata have been running for yonks.
On 26 Apr 2016, at 18.13, rajmund <brajmund2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,
Isn't keySoft just a redesigned talkBack?

Sent from my iPhone 5S

0was 0was On 26 Apr 2016, at 6.08 pm, Ian Macrae <ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
0was 0was
0was 0was I asked the questions about Kitkat and more recent apps. The reason given for going with KitKat was that it had their preferred level of accessibility. They also said that Google was concerned to continue supporting older OS versions because of the numbers of their customers who're still working with devices running them. There was an estimate that around fifty per cent of all Android users are still using KitKat and older versions. Humanware will be putting on its website a page recommending apps on the grounds of accessibility. But there was also a general Caveat emptor warning about buying apps from the Play store as many will not have been optimised for accessibility.
On 26 Apr 2016, at 17.12, paul leake <paul.leake@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Interesting Ian. How did you hear of the launch and where was it?

I wonder if the silent keyboard write as fast as the in-case one, it'd be interesting to test this. Also my concern is that the use of kitcat means that we're behind before we start the race" as my guess is that they won't develop the operating system beyond that and in five years time where will that leave the product? What are your thoughts about this question?

Yes, it does look interesting and I intend to get a demo to put it through its paces!

Kind regards,

Paul

paul.leake@xxxxxxxxxxxx

1twitter: @paulleake1