[access-uk] THE BRADLEY TACTILE TIMEPIECE

  • From: Ian Macrae <ian.macrae@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 17:02:35 +0000

The sample of the new Bradley watch arrived with me from the US earlier this
afternoon.  Here are first impressions.

It certainly looks and feels like an innovative approach to telling the time by
touch.  Both the packaging and the explanatory leaflet come with very good
quality grade 2 American Braille.  However, there is no instruction manual of
any sort.  Having said that, it's difficult to know why one would be needed.
the watch takes its time from the Atomic clock and so in theory should never
need to be altered.  However, I've asked the manufacturer to clarify whether
there is a way of doing this manually.

There is a large button at the three o'clock position on the outer rim, just
where the winder or time changer would be on a regular watch.  I've also asked
the manufacturer to clarify what the function of this button is.

The top face is not covered by glass.  It has an outer ring which contains the
hour/minute markers which are quite bold and proud of the surface.  They are
also silver and shiny which contrast pretty well with the dull metal grey of
the finish of the face.  Then there's a clearly defined circular groove which
runs round the face and this contains one ball bearing which moves and tells
the minutes.  The inner part of the face is blank.

Around the outer rim, effectively on the side rather than the top of the watch
is another groove which contains another ball bearing.  This one tells the
hours.  At first glance, this appears to me slightly counter intuitive in terms
 of how you tell the time.

The review sample I've been sent has a metal strap and I'm finding the catch
slightly tricky.

I'll write more in buy review for the Disability Now website and post a link to
this list.  I'm also talking to the guy for whom the Bradley was designed and
after whom it's named next week and will record an interview with him .  this
too will likely appear on the DN site.

I'm always a sucker for gadget and the gimmicky the better, but I'm reserving
judgement on how well it works as a means of telling the time until I've given
it a fairer test.  intuitive

Ian Macrae
Editor
Disability Now
www.disabilitynow.org.uk<http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk/>
follow us @disabilitynow<https://twitter.com/DisabilityNow> -
Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Disability-Now/448258551882688> and
sign up to our eNewsletter
here<http://www.disabilitynow.org.uk/newsletter-subscription>
Disability Now, 6-10 Market Road, London, N7 9PW