[access-uk] Re: TALKING BOOK DEVICES FOR OLDER PEOPLE

  • From: David Griffith <daj.griffith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 18:54:15 +0100

A tiny but very portable option would be the Creative Zen Stone Mp3 player.
I no longer use this classic device but I have just checked with my daughter and she assures me that it does retain position between sessions of listening to an Audio Book. You can easily navigate by folder and fast forward and rewind etc. There is no bookmarking.

It does however also has the advantage of being an Audible registered device so can also receive Audible download and play books in the copy protected Audible format. This saves a lot of hassle with the need for book conversion for playing Audible content on other mp3 devices.

I believe that although getting a bit long in the tooth you can still get these. I believe you need the original 1GB models without any screen for best accessibility. When I last bought one it was £25 but ironically as it is such a popular device generally it was retaining it price despite its age.

David Griffith

On 31/03/2015 17:56, Richard Godfrey-McKay wrote:
I've been asked by a charity for the blind to recommend the cheapest talking
book machine which retains its place when switched off.

I  understand that the machines offered by RNIB until recently were
expensive, and that some of the memory stick players don't retain their
position when switched off.  I'd welcome any recommendations please.

Richard

Richard Godfrey-McKay

Telephone: 01738-445 880

Mobile: 07791 452 593