[access-uk] Re: Support for XP

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:00:08 +0100

Hi Douglas,

I suspect there will be lots of life in XP yet.  According
to the following page, SP3 for XP is due to be released in
the first half of 2008.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx
(but watch for URL wrap.)

It's also worth noting that while MS state a "Mainstream
Support Phase of 5 years from date of introduction, this is
extended by a further 5 years when "Security Updates" will
still be provided.  This is all explained at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dfh%3Ben-us%3B
lifecycle&LN=3DEN-US&x=3D20&y=3D10 (but again watch URL wrap.)

So basically, you can safely reckon that XP will be safe
until 2009 to 2010.

George.