[access-uk] Re: Study with the Open University.

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:13:57 -0000

Tony,

        As I said to Kirsty, if you've got questions, please ask. It's a bit
difficult to know where to start otherwise.

        If you haven't already, talk to your tutor and/or your regional OU
office. The team down in Bristol are very helpful and I've come to know =
them
well. I've had some exceptionally helpful tutors too. One was tutoring =
his
first course and despite this, found time to visit my house and help me =
with
complex programming diagrams. As much down to his goodwill as anything, =
but
indicative of the help I've had from the OU.=20
=20

        Make sure you have your course materials in accessible format,
before you start the course. If you look on your student home page, =
you'll
find information about when course materials are dispatched. Usually =
it's
about 2 weeks before the course starts. If you haven't received =
accessible
versions of your materials around about the same time, get on the phone =
and
track them down. There's nothing worse than trying to get started on a
course and find your feet, then realising you haven't got the tools to =
get
going.

        The other thing I'd add, and having been thinking about it since
responding to Kirsty's post, is that the first couple of weeks will seem
hectic, complicated and probably a little bit daunting. I don't think =
this
has got anything to do with being visually impaired, it's probably how =
most
students feel.

        The one thing that you will find, is that once you get a feel for
how much time and effort you'll need to put in each week, begin to get
comfortable with the way the course is constructed and get into the =
rhythm
of studying, things will seem a lot less problematic.

        I've really enjoyed studying with the OU, although it's tough now
I'm working full time, which I wasn't when I began my degree. You'll =
have
fun and if you're like me, then learning something new is definitely a =
good
way to spend a few hours each week.

 Regards,
L=E9onie.