[access-uk] Strange behaviour with a PDF document

  • From: "Mark Matthews" <mark.matthews53@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 20:08:33 -0000

Hello.

I am experiencing great difficulty with a pdf document with Cyrillic
characters, in that the characters are not displaying correctly. In there
place, I'm just seeing random Latin letters (sometimes accented), together with
other unknown typographical characters. Oddly enough however, the guide to the
Cyrillic alphabet which proceeds the main lessons displays as it should.

I've contacted the company, and today they sent me a replacement document which
displays exactly the same. Therefore I'm beginning to suspect its something
with my system (either font-related, or somehow the plug-in which detects
Assistive technology is interfering with the document (if that's possible). I'd
be very surprised if that is the case, however ICT scenarios have never failed
to amaze me yet!

I'm thinking of trying the document on another system without a Screen Reader
or getting someone to inspect it on my current machine with JFW unloaded,
however so far the opportunity hasn't presented itself.

I'm on Vista, with the latest version of Adobe Reader, and JFW 13 with all
updates applied.

AS far as I can make out, all necessary support is installed with Vista to
cater for Cyrillic script.

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Mark