[access-uk] Re: Speech enabled ATMs?

  • From: "Barry Hill" <bbinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 10:08:00 +0100

This was in the E-Access Bulletin.- Issue 74, February 2006:

+02: Talking Cash Machines Live Following Successful Trials.

Yorkshire Bank is the first English bank to introduce talking cash machines
to its branches, following successful trials of the technology. The new
machines
will be phased in as older equipment is replaced.

The bank has deployed a talking cashpoint at its new flagship branch in
Albion Street, Leeds, following trials at two other branches in Leeds and
Hull in
July 2005 and trials in Belfast, Northern Ireland and Glasgow, Scotland at
sister banks the Northern Bank and Clydesdale Bank respectively. More
branches
are expected to follow, according to a Yorkshire Bank spokesperson.

Talking ATMs (automated teller machines) enable vision-impaired customers to
hear details of their accounts and transactions spoken through a standard
set
of headphones when plugged into a socket on the front of the machine. To
ensure privacy, customers are given the option of switching off the visual
screen
while carrying out transactions.

Barry