[access-uk] Re: Speech Recognition program

  • From: "Ray Hazan" <raymond@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:24:09 -0000

Brian,

I am not going to pretend that using Jaws and Dragon by themselves is a
substitute for all the hard work you and others have put in.  However, 3
points in response to your detailed reply:

1. I got Dragon up to 97% comprehension simply using headphones and Jaws
cursor going through the brief initial training.

2. I get Jaws to read back by simply saying 'select all', line, paragraph,
etc.

3.  By switching on the beep in options, Dragon beeps every time something
is understood.  so, if you say 'wake up' you will hear a beep and know the
microphone is on.  Not perfect, but better than nothing.  Similarly, as you
dictate, you hear beeps.  When I type, I don't want to hear each word as I
key.  I wait until the end then go back and edit.  Why do you necessarily
want to hear Dragon repeat each phrase all the time?  It's a matter of
preference.

I cannot emphasize enough, that using Jaws and Dragon without any additional
programme is is mainly for simple dictation and limited PC control by voice
and in no way replaces I-say for efficiency and full use of speech
recognition.

Ray