[access-uk] Re: Spam

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 11:04:33 -0000

Andy, you have the subject line of "spam" and of course that's what this is.  So
you need some anti-spam measures to counter it.  NOD32 doesn't really claim to
stop this stuff, although it has flagged some of it lately here as being
potentially harmful to my computer.

This means either a program on your PC such as Cloudmark anti-spam, or going for
an ISP that provides some filtering of spam before it gets to you.  This last
one is tricky as many find that stuff that isn't spam gets caught up in the
filter before it reaches you.  Plusnet have been operating a system where
suspect messages are tagged as spam so they can go to a spam folder on your
machine.  They have a facility to allow you to tell them that something has got
through that hasn't been marked as spam, or something that is spam actually
isn't - hope you follow those details.  Works pretty well .  Google has a good
reputation for stoppping spam, and can be set up as a POP3 account, but I've not
done this.

Cloudmark is very good but of course it costs, and having invested in anti-virus
and anti-spyware and a personal firewall, I'm loath to pay for anything else.

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at:
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx