[access-uk] Re: Sound Forge and Sound Cards

  • From: "Audrey Tonge" <audrey.tonge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 10:55:31 +0100

HI Donna,

Well, with regard to the hiss, I will hopefully get round to some voice recording today or tomorrow, so will let you know, for the life of me I cant quite remember without doing the recording again. I know it is something to do with the graphic equaliser in there. There are a lot of channels that you can alter and one will be the hiss. I will come back to you on that. The reason I can't say at present is that once I got it right I set a default to go to once the voice recording was done.

Re the level for recording from the internet. Do the following which should help you to play around with the levels.

1. in recording control, go to your what you hear setting and set the up/down slider to 100 percent.
2. Now go to your microphone setting and set the up/down slider to 100 percent.
3. Close this setting and open the play control. As you are working with music and not the microphone, just concentrate on the wave control. Try an initial setting of 60 percent with the up/down slider. You can then experiment with this level and see what suits you best.

Regarding the professional microphone. You can usually obtain good advice from some of the smaller dealers who deal with audio equipment, I say this as the larger shops often have no idea what you are trying to do. I would also advise that you obtain a good microphone stand when getting one of these, as they are a close working microphone and it is not possible to hold them as any noise is transmitted to the audio you are recording. Also obtain a pop stopper for this. You can actually make one of these yourself. Just use an old cotton sock or say a knee high stocking and secure it over the Microphone. This is to stop the plosives that occur as you are working so close to the microphone.

Hope all this helps.

Audrey

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donna Waring" <donna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>