[access-uk] Some eSet Smart Security Accessibility Tips

  • From: "Hussein Patwa" <accessuk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 14:17:35 -0000

Hello,

I know some of our colleagues on this list use eSet Smart Security as their
antivirus and firewall software of choice, so I thought I'd post this in
case it's of any help.  Note this mainly focuses on accessibility.  The tips
are relevant to eSet Smart Security v4, but some of the options may be
available in earlier versions.

First, open the main eSet Smart Security program and press F5 to open the
advanced options dialog.  Note that you may have to allow the F5 keystroke
through if using some access software, as many also use this key as a
function of the same.  A list of option categories is given on the left.
Use the tab key and up/down arrow keys to navigate through it, and between
it and associated options.  Use the spacebar to select/deselect options or
to click the OK/Cancel button at the bottom of the screen.

Alerts and Notifications Category:  Deselect 'Display notifications on
desktop' and Display balloon tips in Taskbar for sec'.  This removes the
annoying pop-up balloon tips, which steal the focus away from whatever else
you're working on at the time.  They are also difficult to close with the
keyboard and usually require mouse intervention.  Mostly, they relate to the
daily update of the antivirus definitions and so do not require user
intervention.  Deselecting these options will cause the notifications to
appear as a standard message box on screen.  You can hit OK to close it
immediately, and usually you will return to the exact place you left off
before the interruption.  Advanced users can disable the notification
altogether, so you will never be prompted when a successful update has been
completed.

User Interface category:  Deselect 'Show splash screen at startup', 'Use
animated controls' and 'Use animated icons for progress indication'.  Select
'Advanced Mode' and 'Display menu in standard mode'.  This tidies up the
interface a little as well as giving access to the menu through which
options can be selected.  However, note that the 'Advanced Mode' will
override this, but you can disable that if you're more comfortable with a
simpler interface with fewer options.  I have noticed some slightly faster
response times with the animations disabled, and it seems to work better
with the screen reader as well.

Some system settings:
Antispam Module category:  Use this tip only if you do NOT want to mark
messages as spam.  Select 'Enable antispam module' Deselect 'Add text to
email subject' and 'move messages to spam folder'.    I have noticed that
disabling the antispam module causes Outlook 2007 (and possibly earlier
versions) to hang for a few minutes at the 50% mark when doing its initial
send/receive.  I feel this may be down to poor logic in the eSet Outlook
add-in, which may be attempting to find the module even if it is disabled in
the main program options.  Enabling the module resolves this problem.
Deselecting the other two options will prevent the module from having any
impact on the e-mail messages themselves.  I have not noticed any
degradation in Outlook performance with this configuration.

System Updates category: Use this tip only if you have Windows set to notify
you of or automatically install new updates, or if you check Windows Update
manually.  Select 'No updates' from the drop down list.  This will prevent
eSet needlessly notifying you of missing updates and tidies the interface a
little.

I hope these will be of some use to you.  Note however that these are only a
few of the many options you can configure within eSet, but I felt these were
the most important.    My aim here is to make the program easier to use in
terms of accessibility, but also to reduce the interaction level required by
the user.  I've tested all of these with eSet Smart Security v4 and latest
updates, running on Windows 7 with all updates.  I use Supernova 11.04 as my
screen reader/magnifier.

Feel free to add any comments or suggestions that may help others.

_______________________________________
Have a pleasant day,

Kind Regards and Best Wishes,

Hussein.

Hussein Patwa
Tel: 0789 47 595 62 (UK)
Tel: +44 (0)122 4433 954  (SIP)
Skype: patwaspotterfan2
GoogleTalk: thewanderingwriter
Web: www.patwanet.co.uk
My Blog: http://patwaspotterfan.livejournal.com

Find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=510013486

Please note: For security reasons calls from witheld numbers may not be
connected.  Please release your number so it can be viewed prior to calling.
Contact your telephone service provider for advice on how to do this if
required.  All calls may be recorded for fact verification.

DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive
information and are intended solely for the stated recipient(s).  Copying or
distribution in any form is not permitted without the prior consent of the
sender.  If you have received this message in error, please delete it and
any attachments from your system and notify the sender immediately.  Thank
you for your co-operation.

Protect our trees; Do not print unless absolutely necessary.  Save paper by
deleting sections of the message which are not relevant.

database 4572 (20091104) __________