[access-uk] Re: Solution to jumpy web pages?

  • From: Jonathan <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 16:29:47 +0100

Ahhh! Now I got it - the key word here was Aria! Thanks - looks
interesting, and potentially useful, but use with care as you say!
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria-practices/#kbd_layout

From the page:

Assign landmark roles to each region

Now that you labeled your regions, you need to assign them semantic
navigation landmarks. Landmarks are a vast improvement over the
rudimentary "skip to main content" technique employed prior to
WAI-ARIA. If possible it is best to use these as landmarks. Skip to
main content links may impact the placement of web application
elements. This may be a consideration for developers that want to try
to keep their web application in a specific visible area.
Consequently, layout adjustments may need to be made to support skip
to main content links. Also, skip to main content links are limited in
that they only address only one main content area. WAI-ARIA provides a
collection of landmarks which are applied to each of the regions you
identified in step 2.

The presence of common, semantic, navigation landmarks allows each
site to support the same standard and allows your assistive technology
to provide a consistent navigation experience - an important feature
for screen readers and alternate input solutions. For users with
cognitive and learning disabilities the landmark information could be
used to expand and collapse these regions of your page to aid in
simplifying the user experience by allowing the user to manage the
amount of information processed at any one time.

There are also mainstream benefits of providing navigation landmarks.
Your browser may assign key sequences to move focus to these sections
as they can be set on every site. Navigation to these landmarks is
device independent. A personal digital assistant (PDA) could assign a
device key to get to them in your document. The common landmarks in
WAI-ARIA include: