[access-uk] Skype Talking

  • From: "whizza" <whizza8@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 11:37:10 +0100

Hi all,
Don't know if anyone's seen this; I picked it up from one of the Serotalk pod casts today. It seems that Skype Talking has come to the end of its life. Here's the announcement.

Hi all,
Many people wher asking me about SkypeTalking future and how it goes, so now is the time to inform everyone about the project status.
So unfortunately, the day has come when I have to close the project.
Here are the reasons:
1. I started using GW Connect since version 2.0 came out. It now implements the most important features in order to bring accessibility to the Skype service (except, I know, Facebook), it's localizable for any language like SkypeTalking was, and I like it. Additionally, it uses Skype Kit which implements more capabilities for developers than the legacy Skype Desktop API. 2. I was working on the project since February 2010, when version 0.5 came out. During that time, I was actively working on the project, with some help from Gianluca Casalino from Italy. In the meantime, Gianluca was unable to contribute due to the personal reasons, and later I got a job where I was working for 8 months. Since there's no more people to work on the code, and I'm now focusing on other activities although I lost my job, noone else can work on the improvement. 3. And the biggest reason! Skype Desktop API, that was used by SkypeTalking, is getting worse than better. I am not happy about that, and I can't do anything about that. That's why people have issues with SkypeTalking on reading chats, etc.
So for the end:
I'd like to say big thanks to:
- Andre, who was helping me with the internationalization stuff,
- Gianluca, who wrote some of the coolest features, such as Chat Monitoring,
- all translation contributors, who are responsible that SkypeTalking recently supported near 30 languages!
- and all people who gave me ideas and helped me in testing the program!
Although this is the end of SkypeTalking, it's not the end of my development. I liked and enjoyed working on SKT, it made my life easier while using Skype with my favorite screen reader (NVDA), and I was very excited about it because this is my first project used by many people worldwide. I was even able to work on it voluntairely, without any donations. Now I'm looking for other stuff that needs accessibility or improvement for the eas of use. For example, making a youtube client that will be far easier to use than the original web site, and may be I'll turn to a development for other platforms, such as Android. The mailing list will remain open for the currently satisfied users, but the code will not be updated or fixed. The project is open source, so if someone wants to take over the project and continue working on such kind of forks, feel free to do this! The repository will be removed during the next week.
Translators and contributors, hope to see you on my future projects.
Without you, my software may be useful only for english or croatian speaking people.
With best regards,
Hrvoje Katic

Cheers,
Sandra.