[access-uk] Re: Sky power pack problem solved!

  • From: "Dj Paddy" <mygroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 23:33:31 -0000

Hi Jackie,

High ping rate simply means he gets sluggish and poor response times from his computer and whatever game server he's connecting too.

If you can get it I love Virgin Media.

There outsourced call centres are hopeless, but their service is great.

If you can get cable in your area go for them!

Your son will love their 20meg service.

You dont' need to take any other services if you dont' want too.

I download a 30meg file in approx 6 seconds.

BT have decent customer service but crappy bandwidth and even worse field technicians, (laughs).

Dj Paddy
--- Original Message ----- From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 05, 2008 9:29 PM
Subject: [access-uk] Sky power pack problem solved!

I posted earlier in a message about laptops that our Sky modem power pack had decided to die today, and that I was having to use my mobile temporarily to write and receive messages. Well, thanks to my genius husband, we are hopefully back up and running after he found a good supply that was of the same voltage as the dodgy power pack. So, until Sky get their finger out and replace the whole unit, which they said they would do by Wednesday, we are using the one Ian has safely rigged up.

But what we found quite annoying with Sky over this issue is that you can't use another ADSL modem if their one goes down the tubes because they put details into their units that you can't access, and therefore renders your broadband connection useless for swapping to another modem. Also, they don't provide a dial-up number in the case of broadband failures like some other ISPs do, so perhaps this is worth bearing in mind. I can understand why they don't allow you to change your modem, for security safety, but they have no other provision if the modem goes down, whereas other companies do, or certainly did, in the past.

My son totally detests Sky Broadband because he is a PC gamer, and says that he gets a high Ping, whatever that is, when playing, and doesn't like it. But frankly I find broadband a minefield, and don't honestly know who to try for fear of getting lots of grief with MAC codes and contract ties. (scream).

Anyway, sorted for now. Just thought this might be worth passing on if anyone is looking for a broadband supplier.

Jackie