[access-uk] Re: Sky Talker now available

  • From: "Peter Holdstock" <peterholdstock@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 17:37:44 +0100

Thanks for explaining that so well. That's exactly how I understood it from Sky but how accurate the information they gave me is, we'll just have to wait and see (excuse the pun).

peter

From: "Damon Rose" <damon.rose@xxxxxxxxx>
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuSubject: [access-uk] Re: Sky Talker now available

If Peter's information is correct, it seems there could be a degree of accessibility to the sky+ recorded programmes menu. Sort of.

Peter seems to be saying that, even though you can't read recorded programmes menu itself, you are able to read the interstitial screen that you reach before the programme starts playing.This means that you will be able to arrow down, hit play once and hear what programmes you've landed on. If you don't want that programme, you just hit backup and carry on down the list performing the same function every time you want to know what programme you're on.

Just a brief explanation for those of you who don't have sky+.

You access the recorded programmes menu by hitting the Sky Guide button then the green button. You then have a vertical list of programmes you've recorded. You arrow up and down them and you have to hit play twice before the programme starts playing.

Why twice? Because the first time you hit play, you're given a synopsis screen which describes the programme.

Warning though, HD boxes don't work in quite the same way. The menu isn't just a single long vertical list. The arrow keys can take you in all sorts of directions depending on what you've been recording, whether you've been stacking up a series via the 'series link' option, etc.

A further note is that, though Sky have said they intend to make it accessible to HD customers next year, I think they're simply referring to the voice working via the HDMI cable and not a fix for the dynamic menu problem I've just described and that is a nightmare for visually impaired people.

You'll still need to be able to record the programmes in the first place however which you'll have to do in the same keystroke counting guesswork way or with a bit of sighted help. Or so it seems.

...Damon

From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf

Of
Peter Holdstock
Sent: 16 October 2010 18:58
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Sky Talker now available

Hi, sorry if this has already been discussed but the sky talker is
now available. I've just ordered mine for £70. Not sure if my last
messages got through as I think I seem to have been unsubscribed for
some reason, so again apologies if this has already been discussed.

Peter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/