[access-uk] Re: Sky Plus

  • From: "SHARON BOWELL" <sharon.bowell1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:58:33 -0000

Many thanks,

That was most helpful.

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Amro Bilal
Sent: 30 January 2005 22:01
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Sky Plus

Hi Steve, I saved a message you sent sometime ago on this subject and I
hope you don't mind me sending it to the group again. So, Sharon, please
read below and hope you find it helpful as I certainly did, just like
all Steve's contributions to this list!

Nutt says:

"OK, I'll try to answer this as best I can.

It is accessible in that you can set up programmes for recording, play
them
back, set up series links, etc.  What you can't do as a blind person, is
set things up way in advance.  The problem is that because you can't see
the
EPG, you are never quite sure which programme is selected.  But you
can't
literally jump 24 hours.  So if it is now 7:00 p.m., and you want to
record
something tomorrow at 7:00 p.m., this is easy.  But if you want to
record
something at, say, 12:00 A.m. and it is now 7:00 p.m., this is more
tricky,
simply because there is no sure way of moving from programme to
programme.
If you press right arrow once, you may move to the next programme, but
only
it would appear to me, if that programme is within the next half hour or
so.
If the programme is longer, for example a film, it would take two jumps
move to the next programme, and you are never sure whether you have
jumped
one or two programmes, because you don't see the EPG.

Having said all this, if I want to "series link" coronation street, what
do is to wait until 7:00 or there abouts on the night it is on at half
past,
and then it is easy.  You simply do this:

1.  Press TV Guide.

2.  Press 1 for all channels.

3.  Press 103, or 963 if you want audio description and are not in
London
for ITV1.

4.  Press right arrow once.  This is because you are highlighting the
current programme when you first land on the channel.  So one right
arrow,
will take us to 7:30.

5.  Hit record.

6.  Hit the Series Link button.

7.  Press backup, until you hear the channel you were viewing again.

Now what happens is that the box will record every single episode of
Coro,
until you delete the series link.

One final example.  If you want to play back a program:

1.  TV Guide.

2.  Press 0 to enter the TV Planner.

3.  Press the select key twice.

This will play the oldest programme you have recorded.  So if you want
the
most recent one, you would just press up arrow, then select once.  If
you
hear silence, you know you have gone into a programme for playing.  If
you
don't, you are on a scheduled recording, which won't play, because it
hasn't
been recorded yet.  If you get the silent treatment, because you are in
programme, just press select or the play key to play it.

So yes, it is very, very accessible, apart from the fact that we can't
see
the EPG.  But I honestly wouldn't be without my Sky Plus box.  Not only
that, but the sound quality is superior to the ordinary Sky boxes."

Sharon, this isn't in any way criticising you, but I think it's always a
good idea to search the lists archive. You don't know what you are
missing! Though I'd have to admit that I don't do it sometimes ;)

Cheers,

Amro