[access-uk] Re: Sirecogniser dealer

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 23:48:36 -0000

Jackie, though my situation isn't that similar to yours, I share the
not having holidays - well not for near five years now - and as for
drinking, ar less than I used to, and I'v never smoked.

When it comes to gadgets I'm less of a play being than I used to be,
and now view them rather more in the light of their usefulness to me
than their sex appeal!  That's why I'm not overtly fashion concious
when it comes to techy stuff, and far more into how easy it is to use
and whether it will play a substantial part in my dailly life, rather
than it gathering dust after the buzz.

The one device I've bought recently that does these things for me is
the Victor Stream which I wouldn't be without now.  In fact it has
replaced my RNIB supplied DAISY player which blew up recently anyway.
To me the Stream is rare in providing (in access tech terms) pretty
good value for money, though maybe it should have been released after
they'd worked on the firmware a bit more, but they've got that right
in a short time.  It is a device I use dailly and the notetaking
facility is really good too.

Has to be added though that I bought the Stream at the special offer
price, and it does go for a higher price now I believe, which is
unfortunate, because ten or twenty quid knocked off the near £200.00
price tag could mean a worthwhile saving to many without it seems to
me, HumanWare chort changing itself.

Maybe the other thing that's made a difference to listening on the
move is noise cancelling headphones which really do increase
enjoyment.  Not so high up in the value for money stakes, but again
something I have never thought was a mistake in buying.

I could indeed benefit to some exstent from something like the KNFB
reader which has text enlargement amongst its abilities.  Still, it
has to come down to the level of an up-market screen reader - say
five - six hundred quid - before I would consider it is maybe money
well spent.  Let's face it, as it turns out its the image correction
and porcessingprocessing that's the more inovative stuff, not the
actual OCR that is now pretty 'old technology'.

By the way, didn't someone - seems yonks back now - mention a tech
subsidy scheme operating in Canada?  Seems to me that possibly a lump
sum payable every five years or so wouldn't be a bad idea.  Given the
present setup though, that would only go to help sustain these silly
margins being earned by distributers.  As if they needed any
encouragement!  Could end up subbing what, after all, are probably
rather inefficient outfits.

All this said, I do hope that, at whatever price, this new software
does turn out to be much more than a plaything, and I look forward to
hearing of the positive advantages of having it by those who do decide
they can afford it.

Cheers,

From Ray
I can be contacted off-list at: