[access-uk] Re: Shut up shut down and bugger off!

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 19:47:14 -0000

Hi Andy

I'm glad you are getting to grips with your new toy, and that you can soon feel comfortable with everything and enjoy using your new baby. Getting accustomed to a new machine is always strange until you work out its habits and familiarise yourself with the additional bells and whistles they always carry.

I could be wrong here, so please people correct me if this is the case. But when Windows first appeared, it wasn't as smart at doing a Scandisk or repairing files that had either corrupted or not shut down in the correct way when the PC was suddenly and unceremoneously switched off. Now the Operating Systems are more sophisticated, least that's the theory, so Windows will normally sort out its files and do a Scandisk before it boots up when a sudden shut down has occurred.

I think there is a difference between pressing the power button for a few seconds to initiate a proper shut down like the one you use on the Start menu, and the one where you force off the machine by pressing and holding in the power button until it goes off. This latter action isn't the one I like doing at all, because I have been told it can cause corruption to files, or makes Windows get a bit stroppy when it starts again.

Jackie

Email: cairnsplace@xxxxxxx