[access-uk] Re: Should blind an VI recieve free bus and train travel: Was. Re: Re: How do I change w

  • From: "Graham Lewis" <Graham.Lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 08:44:51 +0100

As I understand it if you are attending a job interview you can apply to =
your local job centre for a travel pass.

Graham Lewis
Centre for Academic Practice
University of Warwick
University House
Kirby Corner Road
Coventry CV4 8UW
UK
=20
Tel.: (+44) (0) 24 765 72737
Mobile: 07733450022
Fax.: (+44) (0) 24 765 727326

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/cap/about/staff/lewis/
http://innovations.warwick.ac.uk/innovations/
http://cap.warwick.ac.uk/tdf

>>> peterlogue@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 10/06/04 06:41am >>>
Walking, cycling or, God forbid, hitch-hiking? So a young woman of 21 =
should
hitch-hike from Stoke-On-Trent to the outskirts of the city to attend a =
job
interview? Why? If she can do that, why can't a blind or visually impaired
person be asked to do the same thing. This young woman doesn't have the
resources to take the train and the bus. She's only on forty five pounds =
per
week , a lot less than anyone on disability with around 500 pounds per =
month
to play with. Why should not this  young mother get free travel. If not =
her,
why should you. Or are you saying that you should get free travel just
because you are blind? Is your income not more then hers?
Think on it. You are entering a bus. In front of you is a young mother =
with
one child of three, even though she is on . ninety pounds per month. You =
get
free transit because you are blind or visually impaired but you get five
hundred pounds per month and you dont' pay? How is that fair. Doesnt this
young mother have a need for  a break? What about the unemployed guy who
needs to get to Glasgow for a possible interview. He's on forty five =
pounds
;per month, but can't possibly afford the seven pounds return fair to the
city. is it fair on him?

Peter

Scotland Radio:
http://www.sightconnections.com/radio/scotland.htm=20