[access-uk] Re: Setting up an accessible Business Website

  • From: "Ankers, Dave (UK)" <Dave.Ankers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:03:55 -0000

Thanks Adrian,

That's all good advice, if the website was to make enough money, I would
certainly wish to spend my time controlling it instead of what I do now, from a
villa in the Baharmas lol.
Apart from the service I would be selling on the site, I was wondering how much
one could reasonably sell advertising for? if successful enough, could one
auction site space, to the highest bidder? one hopes lol

Cheers

Dave

Dave - learning to create simple flat Websites EG pages of information is quite
easy. Connecting to data bases, updating information, managing accounts is a
much bigger deal and learning to do it yourself is unlikely to be a cost
effective way of achieving the target unless you have programming experience
and a lot of time and commitment.  The main tools you would need to use are
probably useable if you know what you are doing but if you're learning they're
not all that intuitive in the main.

A decent independent designer will cost you somewhere in the realms of £300 to
£400 a day. How long the job will take depends very much on the complexity and
scale of the job and how much control you want EG if you want to be able to
manage accounts yourself this will cost you in the first instance but save you
money later as you don't need to pay for ongoing support.

As a wild stab in the dark I guess the sort of thing you're looking for would
be somewhere between 1 and 2 weeks work. Don't forget the costs of hosting the
site will be ongoing and will be higher for a site using a database and content
management system than for static html pages.

Adrian Higginbotham
Project manager: Learning services
Becta
Tel: Direct dial 024 7679 7333 - Becta switchboard 02476-416994.
Email: Adrian.Higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.becta.org.uk/
BECTA, Millburn Hill Road, Science Park, Coventry, CV4 7JJ