[access-uk] Re: Setting the cat among the pigeons

  • From: Shaun O'Connor <capricorn8159@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 12:13:10 +0000

Can't resist jumping  in here but i think the stumbling block( or one of
the stumbling blocks) is the rather vexatious use of patent law(
particularly in the US) which prevents sharing of otherwise generic
functionality relying as it does on nebulous interpretations of the
description of a feature in a patent application. because the patent
office is so heavily deluged with applications there is little time to
run each application through the usual checks and balances. the focus is
on garnering a regular stream of money so refusing an application is"not
economically viable".

however this post is admittedly somewhat off topic but it is a factor in
the mix as to why there is not a universally accepted methodology in the
implementation of accessible interfaces.

ATB

Shaun
On 29/11/2014 11:23, Chris Moore MBE wrote:
> [...]
> go to the trouble of seeking these apps, and then downloading and
> installing them. So still not an out of the box solution for most
> basic tasks, which might even put off some users who just want to buy
> something that just works. Yes there are other options like
> GeorgiePhone or Telorion, but you can’t exactly purchase those in Tescos.
>
> This said though, we are starting to see some very good accessible
> apps for Android and the landscape is changing on a daily basis.
> Samsung have introduced some nice iOS accessibility touches to their
> S5 handset and hopefully these will be adopted by Google as standard.
>
> I can’t be bothered with getting into the 'mine is better than yours’
> debate, I am more interested in the user’s perspective. Healthy
> competition drives innovation, which results in better products for us
> all. One day it would be nice though if many of the commands or
> gestures were the same or very similar across all devices. This would
> be simpler for everyone. We have web standards, so maybe it is time we
> have screen reader standards too? This would certainly make my job easier.
>
> In the meantime though Steve, keep flying the flag and pushing Android
> forward. I also welcome the improvements to WindowEyes as JAWS needs a
> competitor. Although Microsoft could easily wipe the floor with Apple
> and also Freedom Scientific, if they purchased AI Squared and made
> ZoomText their Windows default magnification application and morphed
> WindowEyes into Narrator. Between WindowEyes and Windows 10, I am
> starting to get a little excited and pleased to see accessibility on
> the Windows phone platform starting to grow legs.
>
> I am a Mac boy, and wish Apple would just take some time out and fix
> all the bugs. Voiceover on the Mac can be a clunky mess at times and
> it still has a few kinks when it comes to HTML 5 and ARIA.
>
> Great topic though guys.
>
> Chris
>
> On 29 Nov 2014, at 10:12, Saqib <saqibh23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:saqibh23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>> Well said Steve! These experts sure know how to spit their dummy out.
>>
>> Twitter Saq5000 and Skype Saq5000
>>
>> On 28 Nov 2014, at 20:33, Steve Nutt <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> It is no longer honest though in terms of accessibility.  I would
>>> say Android is virtually equal to iOS in terms of accessibility,
>>> provided you know the operating system, especially Android 5.0, AKA
>>> Lollipop.
>>>
>>> As for Marco's blog, the second time he was supposed to do it for 30
>>> days and quit on day 18, just because he couldn't find a way to turn
>>> the screen off.  I could have told him of at least two apps that do
>>> it, Filters and Shades, so his research left a lot to be desired.
>>>
>>> Sure Android is not perfect, but it strikes me these so-called
>>> experts want it to be like iOS, and it simply isn't.

>>> Stevenage

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/11/when-time-comes-we-need-be-ready-fight-tpps-secret-anti-user-agenda