[access-uk] Re: Setting the cat among the pigeons

  • From: Chris Moore MBE <moore.c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 11:23:56 +0000

I think the point of the exercise was to road test accessibility out of the
box, without having to replace stock apps to achieve accessibility/usability. I
still think iOS is ahead here. Just look at the built in web browser for
Lollypop, it is still no match for Safari. This can also be said for a number
of other stock iOS apps. Android is intuitive to experienced users, but I
wonder how intuitive it is compared to iOS?

Yes there is Firefox for Android and the impressive email client Steve now uses
(sorry name escapes me at present) and so on. Users have to go to the trouble
of seeking these apps, and then downloading and installing them. So still not
an out of the box solution for most basic tasks, which might even put off some
users who just want to buy something that just works. Yes there are other
options like GeorgiePhone or Telorion, but you can’t exactly purchase those in
Tescos.

This said though, we are starting to see some very good accessible apps for
Android and the landscape is changing on a daily basis. Samsung have introduced
some nice iOS accessibility touches to their S5 handset and hopefully these
will be adopted by Google as standard.

I can’t be bothered with getting into the 'mine is better than yours’ debate, I
am more interested in the user’s perspective. Healthy competition drives
innovation, which results in better products for us all. One day it would be
nice though if many of the commands or gestures were the same or very similar
across all devices. This would be simpler for everyone. We have web standards,
so maybe it is time we have screen reader standards too? This would certainly
make my job easier.

In the meantime though Steve, keep flying the flag and pushing Android forward.
I also welcome the improvements to WindowEyes as JAWS needs a competitor.
Although Microsoft could easily wipe the floor with Apple and also Freedom
Scientific, if they purchased AI Squared and made ZoomText their Windows
default magnification application and morphed WindowEyes into Narrator. Between
WindowEyes and Windows 10, I am starting to get a little excited and pleased to
see accessibility on the Windows phone platform starting to grow legs.

I am a Mac boy, and wish Apple would just take some time out and fix all the
bugs. Voiceover on the Mac can be a clunky mess at times and it still has a few
kinks when it comes to HTML 5 and ARIA.

Great topic though guys.

Chris