[access-uk] Setting the cat among the pigeons

  • From: "Peter Bentley" <bentleypdlists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 13:50:35 -0000

Afternoon

I contacted BlindSquare support yesterday to see if they might be preparing
to relaease their program on the android platform.  This was their reply.
What do you think?

Peter

"Currently iOS is superior on accessibility, so 99% of blind users picks
that one. Android is coming better, but still long way to go...

I appreciate lot Marco Zehe, who is blind and also works on Mozilla's
accessibility team. He has tried to switch over to Android 2 times now. For
him it

was not yet possible, but he has written a lot of differences and where
Google still have something to be improved:

http://www.marcozehe.de/2014/08/03/revisiting-the-switch-to-android-full-tim
e-experiment/

That said: I hired Android developer 3 months ago and we have been building
some groundings. BlindSquare is currently 80 000 lines of beautifully
written

code, so making port of all of it would be possibly 6-12 months task, so I'm
aiming first lite version. I have no idea, when that would be ready.

One of the best Android apps is DotWalker. It has probably 5% of features of
BlindSquare, but worth trying."