[access-uk] Services connecting to the net

  • From: "Barry Hill" <bbinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 17:31:13 -0000

Hi all

I've recently installed Komodo firewall and it tells me that, when I'm
connecting to the net, that 13 services are connected at first, then the
number steadily drops to 7 services.  Besides Internet Explorer, what else
is supposed to connect?

My internet connection is quite slow at connecting, so I am concerned that
something that shouldn't be connecting is.

I'm using IE8, Office 2003 on an XP platform with SP3.  I'm also using AVG
pro and Malware antibites, both of which are up to date. AVG is set to scan
daily and I run the Malware antibites on demand every weekend, although I'm
running it daily in my current paranoid state.

I do have some Windows updates that won't install.  They seem to be
associated with Windows 2000.  Windows is set to automatically check for
updates.  Could that be part of the problem, or is that another problem?

Cheers

Barry