[access-uk] Re: Service Providers

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:46:58 -0000

Beware of claims about 24 megabyte broadband.  I was reading
a few articles over the weekend about this.

The bottom line is that very few people indeed can get
anywhere even remotely close to this speed, unless they
happen to live right next door to the telephone exchange.
In fact, one of the articles goes on to say that in many
cases, the signals travel almost a kilometre before they
actually leave the telephone exchange building.

George.

Beasley
> Sent: 28 November 2005 09:44
> To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [access-uk] Re: Service Providers
>
> Peter, take a look at www.bethere.com.  I doubt very much
> that they are operating in Helensburgh just yet, but they
> claim to be offering download speeds of up to 24 megs.

site. They are
> > adequate, I suppose, but I still didn't like the fact
that you are
> > limited.
> > I also checked into Freeserve and, again, found that you

> are limited.
> > Then I came across Telewest and was very surprised. I
liked them a
> > lot. They offered TV services, telephone services, and,
hooray,
> > unlimited broadband at a very resonable price.
Unfortunately, they
> > didn't cover Helensburgh on the firth of Clyde. I then
checked on
> > Virgin, which possibly does do Helensburgh, but they too
limit the
> > user. I'm used to 10MB download speed and no limit, so I
might find
> > being limited quite restrictive. At the moment it looks
like
> > Freeserve, the wana do people will get my phone call
later
> next week.
> > And what is this... Wanna do, anyway. Are they
Australian?
> Some kind
> > of cross between a wallaby and a kangaroo?
> > Yes, I'm moving to Scotland. Well, someone has to take
over from
> > Rangers manager, Alex McLeish and I aim to fill out an
application.

> > Peter
> >
> > ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following
link:-
> > **
> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > ** and in the Subject line type
> > ** unsubscribe
> > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click
on the
> > ** immediately-following link:-
> > ** or send a message, to
> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:-