[access-uk] Scanner for OCR ing textbooks

  • From: "Darren Brewer" <darren.m.brewer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 19:14:10 -0000

Hi All

I'm thinking of buying a flat bed scanner and want one that will obviously
perform OCR, but not be too expensive.

I remember the opticbook 3600 being mentioned quite a few times on here and our
very own Mr Nut saying how good it performs.

Obviously an edge scanner would be the best option, but I don't think there are
any in my price range which is currently a few hundred pounds.

After reading the reviews for the opticbook it sounds like it performs
reasonably well and can apparently cope with shadowing that occurs near the
spine. So it sounds like it will suffice for scanning in text books.

If there is anyone on the list who owns an opticbook then your comments would
be most welcome, as at the moment it sounds like a good investment. However if
you know of an alternative that performs as well or better then I would love to
hear about it.

Cheers
Darren.