[access-uk] Re: Sansa E280

  • From: "Peter Beasley" <pjbeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 17:23:26 +0100

That would be no good for me as I don't have a webcam.
From: "Barry Toner" <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20/07/2010 3:38 pm

Hi Eleanor,

Thanks for the the suggestion, but I need someone to see the screen on the player itself.

Cheers,
Barry.

From: "Barry Toner" <barry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20/07/2010 2:45 pm

Hi folks,

Here's a prime example of lack of Accessibility.

I bought my partner a Sansa E280 8GB player, brand new.  With the intention
of loading Rockbox from,

http://www.rockbox.org

Having had several Archos Jukebox's, and Irivers in the past 7 years I
thought it wouldn't be a problem to install this without sighted help.
Especially as there's an automated tool for the job thesedays and there's a
Quicktime Script to make said tool be more friendly towards Window Eyes.
AFAIK, JFW won't read the Rockbox Utility at all.

Thing is I can only get the player to come up on Media Transfer Mode on my
Windows 7 machine, and not Mass Storage.  So i can't copy the Rockbox files
either automated or manually to the root of the player.  I've been told by a
guy on the RB User Support/Development list that it's a Storage Mode under
the players UI's Settings I need to change.

Fantastic!  Though I've no eyes here, and the set of eyes I could get lives
about 25 minutes away by car and although my Dad would want to help it's
normally allot of hassle.  Plus it's terrible to ask him to come up for 2
minutes to read this screen to me.  A job that would probably take 15
minutes as tech stuff intimidates him.

So...  Whilst it's nice to have a place to rant I'd really like to get RB on
for my partner.  I don't want to have to wait until Thursday when i'm
getting a lift to look at some papers to get eyes.  Do any of you on here
have this player or have had this player?  And therefore know the key
sequences to get into the Settings menu and move the player from MT to MSC
mode when plugged in via USB?

This stuff shouldnt' be this difficult.

I'm going to have a very disappointed lady on my hands when she gets home
and it's still not working.  It's awful to get something in the post and
have all the technical skills to make it talk, but be pipped at the post on
one stupid thing because of not being able to read the screen.

Barry.

Barry Toner

BCS Belfast Branch
YPG Representative & Disability Group