[access-uk] Re: Samsung Galaxy or I-Phone 5

  • From: "Hussein Patwa" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2013 14:45:37 +0100

Hello there,

I trust this message finds you well and that you have had a pleasant
weekend.

Thank you very much for your comment.  I think perhaps there is a
misunderstanding in the interpretation of the term I used, and I of course
apologise for any confusion this may have caused.

You are of course correct in that TalkBack is built into the android
operating system.  What I meant by add-on (and again I apologise if I used a
confusing term), is deaf structurally Voiceover on iOS has deeper hooks into
the operating system and in all areas compared to TalkBack on Android.  This
is why there are few if any Apple-developed areas of the operating system
that are inaccessible (maps is the only one that currently springs to mind
and even then inaccessibility is partial).  On the other hand, in terms of
code TalkBack does not have the same level of hooks into all parts of the
operating system which is why accessibility using it is patchy.  This is
also why, for example, you cannot disable TalkBack and re-enable it with a
gesture as you can with Voiceover, and why therefore sighted assistance is
necessary to re-enable TalkBack or accessibility once it has been disabled.
The latter is of course an important consideration for anyone using android
who does not have sighted support (unless of course you are never going to
turn off accessibility or prefer to use the device as-is without tinkering).

Having said that, let us not cause unnecessary concern in that even though I
refer to TalkBack as an add-on, it is a work in progress and accessibility
will only improve as the android operating system develops, and I would
certainly expect major improvements in android 5 when it is released later
this year.

I hope this clarifies any misunderstanding.  Remember that when discussing
technology different people do use different terms even though they intend
the same meaning.  This is a fact of life in the multilingual nature of our
world.

All the best for now and take care.

Please note: this message was dictated using Dragon NaturallySpeaking and
NovaTalk.  I apologise for any errors in the text.  Visit
www.extrasolutions.co.uk <http://www.extrasolutions.co.uk> for more info on
NovaTalk, the exciting revolution in digital dictation & Accessible IT Your
Way.

_______________________________________
Have a pleasant day,

Kind Regards and Best Wishes,

Hussein Patwa
Tel: 0789 47 595 62 (UK)
Tel: +44 (0)122 4433 954  (SIP)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/hussein_patwa
Skype: patwaspotterfan2
Web: www.patwanet.co.uk
Blog: http://patwaspotterfan.livejournal.com

Dolphin Certified SuperNova Trainer

Find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=510013486

Please note: Calls from witheld numbers may not be connected.  Please
release your number so it can be viewed prior to calling.  Calls may be
recorded for fact verification.

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or
sensitive information and are intended solely for the stated recipient(s).
Copying or distribution in any form is not permitted without the sender’s
prior consent.  If you have received this message in error, please delete it
and any attachments and notify the sender immediately.