[access-uk] Re: Sales and support staff's knowledage of braille

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <jackie.cairnsplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 10:16:35 -0000

Hi Derek

Like Paul, I feel that there is such a minority of working blind people
that, where companies in the access technology areana have the opportunity
to fill or bridge that gap, they should do so wherever possible.  I didn't
give a month's notice when I left S and S, I gave three, partly because I
was keen to see a successor join the staff and become familiar with the
Braille portfolio.  It didn't happen, Mr Tookey chose the line he has taken,
and that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned.  I just felt at the time,
and still do, that advertising and a fair recruitment process to replace a
blind person with another who has a visual impairment would have been in
order.  To me, this says a lot about companies earning a lot of money on the
backs of those of us who have disabilities, and don't take our input or
skills seriously enough to employ us.

That's my stance, it always has been, and it always will be, please or
offend.

And, for what it's worth, Humanware have three working Braillists there, one
of whom is totally blind and the other two fully sighted.  Sight and Sound
had nobody but me to read Braille sufficiently, and now only have the
replacement who is called in on an ad hoc basis as and when he is required.
Well, that's their call, but I don't believe there isn't anyone else out
there who would love a full-time job, could do it well, and have the
affinity one needs as a blind person to have the understanding of others in
a similar situation when it comes to sales and training.

Anyway, it isn't an issue for me any more, thankfully.

Kind Regards,

Jackie Cairns
J&M Work-Ability

jandm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx