[access-uk] Re: Sainsburys

  • From: Christopher Hallsworth <challsworth2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2014 19:26:52 +0000

Hi David,
Thanks heaps. I am lucky this time as the basket is ok. This won't be a shop I will order from regularly since I don't always need an order over £40 and they charge a whopping £6.95 delivery if ordering between £25 and £40 regardless of slot versus between £1 and £6 delivery on orders over £40 depending on slot. If it was me I would go for the latter. Other times I just fancy a change anyway. This is why I vary my supermarkets every week.

On 14/12/2014 19:20, David Griffith wrote:
Personally I would say one word  about the Sainsburys site and that word is
beware.

The site appears to work fine but you are tricked, I am sure unintentionally,
into buying products you  did not intend.
The problem arises when you get a “why not try” suggestion.” What happens then
is the add button for the product you want disappears and ;is replaced by an
add button for the why not try products.

This means that in recent weeks I have  unintentionally purchased a garlic
press device  instead of garlic, cake mix  instead of peaches, Trifle mix
instead of milk, , a potato ricer tool rather than a bag of potatoes., and
three bottles of wine rather than three packets of cod. As I am teetotal this
especially annoying but my wife enjoyed them.

The point is that the web site is only superficially easy. I have tried to ring
Sainsburys about this issue several weeks ago  but nobody has rung back .

To get around this problem you have to where ever   , there is a quote why not
try suggestion follow the link to more information on the product where  there
will be a button which will genuinely allow you to add the product you want  to
your basket rather than the suggested addition. This is a  nuisance and every
time I use Sainsburys I have to check the basket with a fine comb as every time
there will be an unwanted “why not try” product rather than the product you
want which I have unintentionally added. . Last week for example I have to
remove a cooking sauce which had replaced the parsnips I was trying to buy.
  I am not sure what information is being visually displayed.
This is with both Jaws 15 and 16 and NVDA with IE 11 on Windows 7.

David Griffith

On 14 Dec 2014, at 18:19, Christopher Hallsworth <challsworth2@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi all
Have any of you tried Sainsburys with a screen reader? So far it works very
well with the latest NVDA and the latest Firefox and VoiceOver of course under
iOS 8.1.2 via the Sainsburys app which uses their website in an embedded
browser anyway. I am not telling you to shop there; just advising you. I am
using them for my Christmas delivery next Sunday.