[access-uk] Re: Safely remove Hardware was Re: Re: System tray

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:57:31 -0000

I'd like to try and hit this, "Safely Remove Hardware" nail
on the head once and for all.

First knock on the head one the myth.  It is indeed a
Microsoft utility.  It is part of your Operating System, and
is not a program supplied with any hardware you purchase.

So let me give you an example of where and why it should be
used.

Let us say that you have purchased some kind of USB storage
device, be it a memory stick, or a 300 Gigabyte disk drive.

So you decide that you are going to copy all your 200
Gigabytes of MP3 music files to this massive area of storage
you have just purchased.

Well - surprise, surprise, guys.  This copying doesn't just
happen in the time it takes you to draw your next breath.
It can take seconds, or it can take many minutes, depending
on how much you are copying.

So to be sure to be sure (as the Irish might say), you have
the option to "Safely Remove Hardware", which essentially
says, "Is all this copying finished?".

Now the decision to activate this option is very much up to
you.  If in any doubt, use it and be sure.

But please don't ask why your 200 megs of music has
disappeared on your USB 2 hard drive if you pull the plug
our after 10 seconds of silence - it is probably still
mid-copy.

Ask your PC if it is safe to remove the drive, and it will
tell you if it is still copying or not.

George Bell.

Date: 17/02/2006

Date: 17/02/2006