[access-uk] Re: SIGHT VILLAGE

  • From: "andrew hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:20:59 +0100

Hi all,

I am still at sight village plus this week, and am writing this on my phone, so
excuse this if it lpooks odd.

The main two things which I really liked at sight this year were the smalltalk
ultra and the kurzweil camera scanner. the smalltalk is a subnotebook which is
smaller than any braille notetaker, and is a fair specked laptop. it has a
thumb keyboard, and comes with a usb keyboard which can be put into a carrying
case and worn on the shoulders. if you have Windoweyes already the cost is
1.500 notes, but with that you get an extra 3 sma counts on the windoweyes
license.

The Kurzweil reading camera is a PDA with a camera attached, and you can take a
picture of any object and it will do OCR on the image. It talks the user
through lining up the camera, and gives useful feedback. it is a tad expensive
currently at over 2 grand, especially when it is a mainstream PDA, but I would
think the price would drop at some point.

One thing which is a bit annoying is that there seem to be so many PDA devices
from different manufacturers, but the PDAs are all the same/similar spec.  For
example, you need one for the kurzweil reader, one for a victor trecker, and
possibly one for general use with a pocket screen reader such as pocket hal or
mobile speak pocket. Sighted people would not have to put up with all these
duplications, and I hope that if we see more devices on the pocket pc platform,
that we can use more applications on the one device.

Regards.
Andrew.