[access-uk] Re: SHUT THE BOX!

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "carol.pearson29" for DMARC)
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 15:17:48 +0000

This one came already Brailled.

We'll try to find out where it came from (for interest's sake) when we see a friend tomorrow.

Carol P

On 10/12/2015 14:45, Ian Macrae wrote:

This one from amazon looks quite like the one we have Carol
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PTJ0K5M?keywords=Shut the box&qid=1449758452&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7 <http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PTJ0K5M?keywords=Shut%20the%20box&qid=1449758452&ref_=sr_1_7&sr=8-7>
you could always dimo or otherwise produce Braille labels for the flippers. It’s a good idea to label both open and shut faces as you can then decide whether you’re going to start with them all down and flip them up or vice versa.
On 10 Dec 2015, at 14:29, Carol Pearson <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Brilliant, Iain. Thanks a lot for that description. I didn't find it in the RNIB catalogue. Where is it sold, do you know?

Carol P

On 10/12/2015 14:02, Ian Macrae wrote:
Carol, hoping you can read this from this account and apologies in advance to those who can’t.

If yours has 15 flippable little lids - the one we have has only ten - then you flip them all up and they should be numbered from 1 to 15. You then throw the two dice simultaneously and aggregate the two numbers on the dice. You then have to choose which of the lids you are going to close in order to make up that number. For instance, if you threw a 6 and a 4 you would have to close a combination of lids which added up to 10. So you could decide to close the number 10 on its own or you might close 7 2 and 1, or any other appropriate combination. Your turn is over when the number you throw with the dice is greater than the sum of all the numbers you have available to close. So if you have only your number 5 and two lids still open and the dice throw produces a total greater than 7, that’s game over for you and the remaining total is noted down next to your name or just remembered. Your playing partner then starts again with all the flippers in the open position and their ai
is to have a smaller total than your 7 by the time their turn is over. It’s playable with two or more players and you can either play three or five rounds with the person winning most rounds coming out the winner.

Hope that’s clear.
On 10 Dec 2015, at 13:25, Carol Pearson <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Has anyone come across this game at all? We hadn't but have recently seen/acquired one and can't find any details. The one we have (which may be for children) has two dice and is in a very nice box and there are 15 little boxes which open. They are brailled.

Trouble is, we don't have any instructions either ...

Any information on this would be most welcome. Thanks!

Carol P

** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> with the Subject:- faq