[access-uk] Re: SAFELY REMOVING HARDWARE

  • From: Tristram Llewellyn <tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:32:20 +0000

Basically what "Safely remove hardware" does is electronically disconnect the
attached device so that it is no longer available and tied into the operating
system resources.  The reason for having it is so that files can be released
but also the electrical current to be withdrawn from the device so that it can
be removed safely without the possibility (usually fairly remote) that you will
fry the device as you remove it.

If you do unplug hot so to speak then it is possible to cause file corruption
on USB memory sticks and you may get a message next time you plug in that
Windows has to scan for errors and fix them before you can access the
information.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support
www.sightandsound.co.uk

Mail:
Tristram: tristram.llewellyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Technical: Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General - info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Phone:
Support line: 0845 634 7979

Sight and Sound Technology Limited is a company registered in England and
Wales, with company number 1408275.

Sight and Sound Technology
Welton House North Wing
Summerhouse Road